How to Read RFID tags from Psion Teklogix WorkAbout Pro using Java.

How to Read RFID tags from Psion Teklogix WorkAbout Pro using Java.

• Hi,

I have Psion Teklogix hand held rfid reader(WorkAbout Pro) which contains Windows CE installed on it. Using this device  I want to read tags from my java application running on separate desktop.

Is there any way to read tags from outside applications? Is there any java api available?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep

• Hi,

Which RFID reader do you have ?

Some RFID modules do have a Java DLL which can be used.

Pierre

• Hi Pierre,

I am using Psion Teklogix hand held rfid reader(WorkAbout Pro) model no:7527.

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep

• Hi Pradeep,

In principle, the Java language is not supported by the RFID SDK. However, some developers are using Java, and could find workarounds, depending on the type of RFID module used.

We would need to know which RFID module you are using, the reference above relates to the terminal itself, which frequency: LF, HF and UHF, and which RFID model number?

Thanks and Regards,

Pierre

• This link will also help in identifying the device. SystemProperties from About Device in the Control Panel will help too.

community.psion.com/.../3365.RFID-Product-Guide-_2D00_-B80NA.pdf

-sean

Sean M. Kennedy  {Americas Help Desk Application Support}

• Hi  Pierre,

My device has got CEAN installed on it.

Its for UHF frequency, RFID model No: WA4003-G2. I hope this is the rfid model no.

Actually I installed java(CrEme) on the device and able to run some sample java code. But at this point i don't want to do any programming on device, i want to read tags directly from outside system(Java Application). Please help me.......

Thanks for your kind help Mr.Sean,.

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep

• Dear Kennedy,

what pradeep asking is, he needs to connect caen UHF device to the system directly thru docking station or wifi, and wants to use this reader to read the tags . the system will have java application and it maps this reader ( just like a regular rfid reader connected to a system thru usb or serial port). he does not want to develop any soft for the device as of now.

Warm Regards

Ramesh M.G

• Hi Ramesh, Pradeep.  (I am a Sean, not just a Kennedy...)

Here is a simple test for you. If the Workabout Pro (WAPG2) has the correct Software installed (AND RUNNING) for the RFID reader, then you can use it's passive mode for reading RFID tags. (Like Scanning Barcodes.)

Both the Barcode Scanner, as well as the RFID scanner when a Cursor is placed in a TextBox will fill in the Scanned Values of barcodes as well as RFID tags when the scan is enabled.

So make a simple application that sets the focus on the text box. Scan a Barcode. (Like the UPC code off a can of Soda Pop) and you will see the results.

If the RFID scanner "wedge" software is installed and running, and you have setup the HotKey, then you can use the Hotkey to Scan an RFID tag and it's values will be inserted into the Text Box.

For the Agrident RFID scanner, the AirWedge Software will default to [BLUE+F21] {132} as the keycode.

F21 is high enough to not be a crucial F-Key for a variety of systems. AS400 Warning, MAKE SURE the F21 is not mapped to an F-Key function!!! Check with the AS400 developers/support staff first!!!

This allows BOTH Barcode scanning, as well as RFID scanning to take place and values to be inserted in an application.  (As a test for Text Box  testing.)

-sean

P.S. If Pocket Word is installed on the device, open it first and scan barcodes as well as RFID tags into it. This will prove your scanners are working correctly.  -smk8

• Hi Sean, (kennedy),

Think our query is mistaken by our fellow community friends, He just wants to know weather the caen module WAP device can be also used as a stand alone rfide reader ( just like any other RFID reader which can be connected to a system thru USB or Serial or any other communication port). it's bcos the partner doesnt have a soft for Win CE and he is just having a desktop java soft. hope this helps to get a working suggestion from you all.

Cheers....

Ramesh M.G

• Hrm, java remoting etc...

RFID Scanner to outbound COM port wedge type thingy...

Why the complicated Error-prone solution?

BEST:

Use a Web Page (with server-side java) the WAP can network / Internet Explore to,

Java on the web page acts as the "Text Box" interface  (Like Google Search)  to bring in the data server side.

OR

(Get a CAEN USB RFID Reader for the desktop.)

www.caenrfid.it/.../syproduct.php

-sean

• Hello Ramesh,

Are we to infer from your last reply that what all your customer would like the device to do is to act as a desktop reader and get connected to a computer via ActiveSync (serially, USB or wireless)?

If that's the case, let me point out the fact that, you will still need a wedge regarless of whether you plan on storing the data coming from an RFID reader in a flat file on the device and then transfer it to the desktop, or have this work in real time. And, while the demo wedge we provide can assist you with the first scenario, you will need to have a different solution for the scenario where you intend to have the handheld equipped with the CAEN module act as a mere RFID RFID reader.

Aneline

• I have suggested the same to the partner(to develop a simple web application(java or whatever ) ),so that he can access the same thru his WAP Caen reader by just connecting to the network with web browser. But seems he needs to know weather more simpler solution than that available with us. thats why i seeked your ideas, thanks for helping out guys.

• Pradeep

I want to read tags from my java application running on separate desktop.  Is there any way to read tags from outside applications? Is there any java api available?

That sounds like you want to RDP (remote desktop) into your PC from the hand-held.  Is this correct?  That would backup the following statement in terms of doing as little (or no) development as possible:

Ramesh

I have suggested the same to the partner(to develop a simple web application(java or whatever ) ),so that he can access the same thru his WAP Caen reader by just connecting to the network with web browser. But seems he needs to know weather more simpler solution than that available with us. thats why i seeked your ideas, thanks for helping out guys.

If that's the case, then you *could* use a wedge (as Aneline mentioned above) to merely wedge the UID data into fields of your application that you RDP'd into via your hand-held.  The wedge that comes stock with CAEN Tools:  http://community.psion.com/downloads/developer_sdkhdk/m/rfid_sdk/1135.aspx

Just because the application that runs on your PC is Java based does NOT mean that you have to run a complementary Java based hand-held application to access it. 

• Hi Steven,

I agree with what you have suggested. We are going to write application on hand held device.

.NET library provides methods for establishing connection with reader and reading the tags. As you mentioned in one of  your post ( community.psion.com/.../1445.aspx )  it looks like  java sdk  don't have that option.

We are planning to go ahead with .NET.

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep Bhat