The UMTS (model RA3040-G2) and GSM/GPRS (model RA3030-G2) radio
modules include a radio and an antenna, and include a SIM card holder.
The SIM card, required to use the radio, is sold separately. These
radios are WORKABOUT PRO expansion modules, which connect to the 100-pin
expansion connector and the audio expansion connector in your WORKABOUT
PRO. They can be used alongside the built-in Bluetooth radio and the
802.11 Compact Flash radio.
These radio modules require an end-cap with a protrusion to
accommodate the antenna. A variety of antennas and end-caps are
available for different operating frequencies and WORKABOUT PRO
For detailed information on operation and specifications, please
refer to the WORKABOUT PRO Hand-Held Computer User Manual for your unit.
End-caps are listed in the online Psion Teklogix Accessories Catalogue
To install the module:
The UMTS or GSM/GPRS expansion module aligns with mating connectors
in the WORKABOUT PRO:
1. Slide the SIM Card holder under the edge of the WORKABOUT PRO case until
it meets the inside of the SIM Card slot:
2. Align the 100-pin expansion connector and the header pins on the
expansion module with the expansion connector and the header connector
on the main logic board of the WORKABOUT PRO.
3. Align the four mounting tabs on the expansion module with the four
screw holes in the internal frame inside the WORKABOUT PRO:
4. Apply slight pressure above the 100-pin connector to snap the module
into place.5. Settle the metal shield into place on top of the UMTS or GSM/GPRS
expansion module. It aligns to the same screw holes as the expansion
module.6. Ensure that the scanner flex cable lies on top of the metal shield.
Fold the flex cable so that its end is on top, inside the transparent
sleeve on the flex.7. UMTS Only... Peel the paper away from the adhesive on the ferrite
absorber, then stick the ferrite absorber to the underside of the
transparent sleeve.8. UMTS Only... Fasten the sleeve down using the Kapton tape.9. Use four of the screws provided to secure the expansion module and
metal shield into place. Tighten the screws to a torque of 2 lb-in (0.23
10. Tuck the antenna cable through the frame.11. Remove the antenna screw indicated in Figure 7 before inserting the
12. Set the antenna into place. The antenna slides in along the frame.13. Use the long screw (and for the UMTS antenna only, the standoff)
provided to fasten the antenna to the frame.14. Snap the antenna cable onto the antenna
15. UMTS Only... Arrange the antenna cable parallel to the antenna.
16. UMTS Only... Fasten the antenna cable down with the second piece of
Kapton tape.17. Attach the appropriate end-cap.18. Tighten the end-cap screws to a torque of 3 lb-in (0.34 Nm).19. Replace the back plate. Tighten the back-plate screws to a torque
of 2 lb-in (0.23 Nm).
2. Remove the sticker covering the SIM Card slot:
3. Slide the SIM Card into the upper slot in the battery compartment:
The card should be oriented with the contacts down and the notch
to the front and left, according to the diagram in the battery
4. On the C version of the WORKABOUT PRO, close the card gate.
5. Slide the hardware power switch to turn battery-backup power back
6. Replace the battery and battery cover
7.Verify the installation by turning on the unit and performing one
of the following:
Psion Teklogix Inc.
2100 Meadowvale Boulevard,
Canada L5N 7J9
Tel: +1 905 813 9900
Fax: +1 905 812 6300